Monday, June 25, 2012

Yes, even artists have to get sales...


When I became an artist I thought great, I can draw all day, people will just magically find me, and hire me. Then I got a real big reality check.


At an artist's conference I found out that 50% of an artists time should be spent in marketing themselves. They talked about developing marketing plans, strategies... for an artist???

Whodda thought!!
But it started to make sense.


Marketing=Sales! Sales=Money!
Money= Eating and Sleeping Indoors...
Two things I've really become accustomed to.

Ding, ding, ding!! I think this is something I better do.  But how??


There are tons of books, videos, audios, seminars, webinars on how to be successful in getting sales and clients, but boy it can make your head spin. It started to freak me out. Where was I going to find the time to do all this??


Okay I got it... you have to market, but what I found out is that it's not a one shot deal. You have to follow up, multiple times. Why?

You need to keep "you" and "what you do" in the potential customers mind so that when a project comes up, then think of you and call.

But being consistent with follow-up can be challenging. Getting business is competitive especially in a down economy, so I found out you have to be creative, get their attention, stand out... don't always ask, but give-- info tips, whatever. Think outside the box - be creative.

I find cards, postcards, emails and ezines a cool way to market myself. They're very simple and cost effective to do... and it doesn't take a lot of time.

So I looked for something to help me out with doing this and this is what I've found. It works great for me, saves me time, it's inexpensive and who knows, maybe you'll like it as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment