Monday, July 16, 2012

If only I could just draw funny stuff all day…

These past few days I’ve been away for a little R&R and also doing some reflecting. Thinking about career decisions I’ve made in the past, some good, some bad and some we won’t even talk about.

Gosh, I’m thinking…wouldn’t it be great to just be able to draw and create what I wanted without worrying about money. 


I’ve wanted this so much in the past that I have actually done jobs outside the art field and I was miserable. Real miserable. 



There was nothing wrong with those jobs they just weren’t’ meant for me. Did I learn something from them? Yes… of course I did. Did they help me grow? Absolutely!

The reality is, no, I don’t have unlimited funds to pay my bills and just draw the stuff I want to draw. So I have done some soul searching these past few years, found the things I like to do with my art and starting marketing that more aggressively. And I am starting to make money at that.

For me it’s my Cartooning Workshops. I realized how much I also love teaching and working with kids. Sharing my knowledge of cartooning has been a double blessing. Yes, I am teaching the kids cartooning but their natural creativity is constantly replenishing my creative core. They are teaching me how to be a kid again. To be truly creative, to think outside the box, to just let myself go without restrictions.

I have learned to be really silly again, to laugh at stupid funny stuff, to just have fun. And my best teachers for those are those kids in my Kindergarten to Grade 2 workshops. They know how to fully use their imagination, nobody has restricted them yet. They are just beginning to be taught; so they are still pulling from their own imagination. Young children's imagination has no limits… as time goes on knowledge can restrict us.

So today, I make money so I can draw the stuff I want, doing something I love with little people who give back to me, more than I could give to them.

So yes today I am so thankful for having this to do. What are you thankful for?

1 comment:

  1. I am thankful that our paths have crossed in this lifetime Debi - and hope we can see each other again soon.
    For those of you who have not seen Debi's work - it is so much fun, you will love it!!!

    ReplyDelete